Saturday 8 January 2022

Another year over and a new one just begun

First miniature of the year painted:

It's "Slug Eat Your Face", sculpted by Tom Meier to a concept by his son Theo Meier (the description of the design process, which can be read here, is very amusing). This was a Christmas Present - one of a number of very well selected Christmas gifts from Ral Partha Legacy and Bad Squiddo Games. It's nice to have a family who know the weird things you like.

Last year was a hard year but in spite of that - or maybe because of it - it was my best year for painting ever. I managed to get 110 miniatures painted this year! Some of them even to a decent standard! Far and away a record for me. However... I managed to acquire 195 miniatures. So, taking into account the one I destroyed for a fimir conversion, that still leaves me 84 miniatures in the red.

Sometimes admitting you have a problem is the first step to fixing it... So, I have one core Oldhammer new year's resolution for 2022:

To paint more miniatures than I acquire.

That's it. That's my one resolution. Oh aye, and to finally finish and play the Dolgan Raiders (BOYL22 will finally be the year!)... And to get on with the High Elves that have been waiting nearly 25 years now... and I have a few other ideas up my sleeve too... Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just off to have a look on ebay.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work on the slug...as for painting more figures than you acquire...good luck. I could do with making a similar pledge myself but feel it would be in vain. Here's to a better year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like literally owning the sweet shop is a disaster if you're trying to rationalise your sweetie consumption!

      Happy new year!

      Delete
  2. Dolgan Raiders! Dolgan Raiders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've made a start and I do have pretty much all the models needed. The main barrier at this stage is that I committed to using multipart plastic archers and it turns out that I really, really hate putting together multipart plastic models. It's just no fun at all!

      Delete
  3. Lovely job. I just finished painting a pair pulling a chariot for Jacob at Ral Partha. Lovely minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed painting them as much as I enjoyed painting this one! I can definitely imagine them pulling a chariot - it would be a very slow chariot though! You know, I think Tom Meier might just be my favourite sculptor. Got more from him lined up for this year.

      Delete